Employment Legislation that effects you at work
There is a range of employment legislation that effects workplaces accross Australia. Below you can find a list of some the legislation that has jurisdiction across Australian workplaces.
In addition to each of the employment Acts which apply and are listed below, there are numerous Acts in each State which protect people from discrimination. These Acts are different in each State. To search the differing legislation relating to discrimination try seaching http://www.austlii.edu.au/ *** Henry format ***
- Fair Work Act 2009 - This act creates a national workplace relations system that is fair to working people, flexible for business and promotes productivity and economic growth.
- Legislation in the Employment and Workplace Relations Portfolio - Links to the previous Workplace Relations Act 1996, Acts and Bills amending it, and other legislation administered by the Dept of Employment and Workplace Relations
- there are also a range of Acts to protect people from discrimination, including for example the Sex Discrimination Act http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/sda1984209/ *** and the Racial Discrimination Act http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/rda1975202/ ******************* (Henry to organise link formatting)
- Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999 (Cth) - An Act to require certain employers to promote equal opportunity for women in employment, to establish the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency and the office of the Director of Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace.
- Industrial Relations Act 1999 (QLD) - An Act relating to industrial relations in Queensland for employees of the State and Local government sector.
- Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (QLD) http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/whasa2011218/ henry to format
New South Wales
- Industrial Relations Act 1996 (NSW) - The objects of this Act are: to provide a framework for the conduct of industrial relations in NSW. This Act only applies to employees in the State government sector.
- Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (NSW) - A NSW Act to secure the health, safety and welfare of persons at work; to repeal the Occupational Health and Safety Act 1983; and for other purposes. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/whasa2011218/ ** Henry format link
- Workers Compensation Act 1987 (NSW) - A NSW Act to provide for the compensation and rehabilitation of workers in respect of work related injuries. This Act was amended in 2012.
- Victoria has for many years operating entirely in the federal jurisdiction for employment law. There are however a number of State Acts which protect people from discrimination for example the Sex Discrimination Act and the Racial Discrimination Act.
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ohasa2004273/ henry to format ***
- Fair Work Act 1994 (SA) - An Act about the relationship of employer and employee in the South Australian jurisdiction. This Act only applies to employees of the State government.
- Industrial Relations Act 1979
- Long Service Leave Act 1958
- Minimum Conditions of Employment Act 1993
- Public and Bank Holidays Act 1972
- Workplace Agreements Act 1993
- Industrial Relations Act 1984 (TAS) - which applies to employees of the Tasmanian state government.
- Fair Work Act 2009
Australian Capitol Territory
- Discrimination Act 1991 (ACT) - The Discrimination Act from the Australian Capital Territory has as its objective to (a) eliminate, so far as possible, discrimination in the areas of work, education, access to premises, the provision of goods, services, facilities and accommodation and the activities of ...
- Public Sector Management Act 1994 (WA) - An Act to regulate the administration of the public sector in the Australian Capital Territory. Available in historical versions from September 2001 to current.